Tuesday, May 28, 2013

crazy about crazy love

You guys, I started reading a new book over the weekend that is punching me in the guts and making me stop in my tracks to examine my heart.

The book is called, Crazy Love by Francis Chan.

Earlier this year, this book was added to my list of books to eventually read!

Now, when you hear or in this case, read the title, Crazy Love what comes to mind? 
A. a wild romance
B. dating relationship gone wrong
C. a parent's love for their child/children

It's neither of the above but almost close to option C.

It's about God's immense love for us, his children and how he wants us to love him with all our heart, soul & mind. ((matt 22:37-38))

Me & my bff C decided to read it together. She has it on audio I believe. We both have read through chapter 5 (as of last night). It's insane! I love that we are reading this together to help keep each other accountable (something I am not good at alone!) and to spiritually grow with God's help, his grace.

Some people, even Christians may call the ideals in this book, radical, but Chan writes that God wants, deserves and demands our best. Not drawing near to God out of guilt, but out of genuine love.

From the back of the book, I quote, "Does something deep inside your heart long to break free from the status quo? Are you hungry for an authentic faith that addresses the problems of our world with tangible, even radical, solutions? God is calling you to a passionate love relationship with Himself. Because the answer to religious complacency isn't working  harder at a list of do's and dont's-it's falling in love with God. And once you encounter His love, as Francis describes it, you will never be the same. Because when you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything."

WOW!

I've taken some notes from the chapters I've read so far. There is so much to digest. There is so much more I could share. I'll probably pick back up on chapter six tomorrow night.

In one of the chapters, we are reminded from Luke 18:27, "what is impossible with man is possible with God." Amen, right!?

Gosh, I LOVE that! Through God, all things that seem hopeless in our life don't have to be that way. With God, there IS hope, possibilities and opportunities!

Have you heard of Crazy Love? Have you read it or are you reading it? 
What do you think about it?

p.s. if you haven't, check out the current giveaway! :)

 photo signature_zps68838d56.png

7 comments:

holli said...

I've heard about this book but never read it myself. I'm so glad you're connecting with it and having fun reading it with your friend. Thats a great idea! xoxo

Lynne said...

I too have heard about Crazy Love, but not read it. I first learned about Francis Chan last fall - I took a course offered by our local seminary called MissionShift. You should google it sometime, it is an interesting concept. Anyway, one of the assignments was to visit and learn about a local ministry/mission outreach and then present to the class. I was assigned to World Impact - St. Louis. Francis Chan is on the national board of World Impact. They are doing some marvelous work.

Lynne said...

I decided to find the links and leave them for you -

http://missionshift.org/promo.php

http://www.missionshiftstl.org/

http://worldimpact.org/stlouis

Martha Hokenson said...

That's awesome that you guys are reading it together! I love reading through something like this with a pal so there is room for discussion and back-and-forth, instead of just taking it solo.

Kelly said...

Oh girl i LOVED Crazy Love! I read this too awhile back and man does it get ya!!!! Francis Chan ROcKS!!

Jasmine Garcia said...

Oh my goodness. I bought this go a couple of years ago and I am so happy to have stumbled upon your blog and find someone else who is reading it. It's such an amazing book! :) I hope you continue to read it and enjoy the rest of it! :)

that suburban momma said...

I haven't heard of it, but sounds like something I'd love! Love reading with a friend. :)